Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Palm-a-rama




I am keen to create a slightly kitsch Miami/Florida 1950's tropical holiday feel for the front of my new 1950's house. Bougainvillaea, hibiscus, succulents, tropical foliage, and palm trees. I also want to add in some Australian natives because they can also provide a retro, kitsch vibe too and seem appropriate to add considering we are so close to the creek(teeming with gum trees and bird life etc). I have been busy snapping photos locally of Palms I like that would suit the Melbourne climate.

I dreamland I would like one of these classic bad boys (date palm above) in my front garden. Welcome to my oasis! It would make a nice natural umbrella for the big in-ground tramp I'm planning on putting in in the future. I have no idea how much a mature one costs but I'm guessing big bucks… Probably will stay an exotic fantasy!



Another plan is to frame the front of the house with a pair of this type of palm. I like the desert island feel with the multiple branches and also like the slim elegant trunks and pom pom heads.



I like these mini versions too.



These are another variety I fancy too, more of a straight singular stem, bit chunkier too. I like them grouped behind the Pride of Madeira bushes (this photo is from the Fitzroy gardens - a place I get heaps of inspiration from).
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment